The Regents Canal from Islington to Limehouse Basin and The Thames.
Things to see whilst wandering along the Regent's Canal towpath as it goes through London's East End before dropping south to meet the River Thames.
The following is a continuation of our
Regent's Canal Paddington to St Pancras
topic. The canal passes by some really interesting (and nicely named) places on it's way to Limehouse and also connects with the Hertford Union Canal. The only
drawback is having to leave the towpath to get past Islington Tunnel - otherwise there is often lots of activity beside the towpath including at Mile End.[ Click The photos for a much larger photo - use the "back" button to get back to this page. ]
Maiden Lane Bridge
The 976 yard long Islington Tunnel on The Regents Canal. Islington Tunnel was designed and built by James Morgan between 1815 and 1818 - the tunnel does not have an
internal towpath so barges were "legged" through. Walkers and cyclists therefore have to leave the Regents Canal at this point and divert through Angel via several roads. This could really benefit from
a map showing the way but sadly all that exists is a sign saying leave the canal and then just a little way up the road at Colebrook Row one more sign - that is it.
Directions: Walk up to Colebrooke Row - turn right and shortly left into Duncan Street. At the end of the road turn left now along
Upper Street (it's the A1) then right into White Lion Street - this changes into Donegal Street after a while. At the end of Donegal Street turn right into
Rodney Street to then reach Wynford Road. Go left and then almost immediately right along Muriel Street - the canal is a short distance along on the left.
Caledonian Road Bridge
Islington Tunnel west
Islington Tunnel east
Banbury Street Bridge
City Road Lock 5
City Road Lock + chimney
Wharf Road Bridge
Pipebridge + bridge40
Sturts Lock 6
New North Roadbridge
Witmore Road Bridge
Entrance Kingsland Basin
Actons Lock 7
Lockgates Actons Lock
Pritchards Road Bridge
Railway bridge 50
Mare Street Bridge
Bonner Hall Bridge
Bonner Hall Bridge
Particularly between the 1830s right up to the end of the First World War, The Regent's Canal carried quite a volume of tonnage - with canal barges moving a variety of cargo including bricks, coal, glass as well as grain, chemicals and beer. Famous old English canal freight carrying companies such as Pickfords and Fellowes Morton and Clayton Ltd used the Regent's Canal quite heavily.
Old Ford Lock 8
Old Ford Lockgates
Old Ford Roadbridge
Hertford Union Canal Jc
The Hertford Union Canal or Duckett's Canal in London.
At only 1.5km long the Hertford Union Canal - which is also known as Duckett's Canal - was opened in 1830 and was designed to provide another commercial link between the River Thames (via the Regent's Canal) and the River Lee Navigation.
Please see our River Lee Navigation
topic for photos taken along the Hertford Union Canal.
Gun Maker's Bridge (photo below) is named after the nearby Gunmakers Arms and Gunmakers Wharf - the London Small Arms Factory was situated by the Wharf and produced components for several famous military rifles including the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield which was used during the 1914-1918 war. The factory used the Regents Canal to transport the components to Enfield.
Hertford Union leaves Regents Canal
Entrance bridge 54a
Roman Road Bridge 55
Mile End Lock 9
Mile End Lockgates
Mile End Roadbridge
Gunmakers Arms Bridge
Gunmakers Arms Bridge
Jonsons Lock 10
Lockgates Jonsons Lock
Ben Jonson Roadbridge
Salmon Lane Lock11
Road bridge 61
Commercial Road Lock
Lock 12, pipes, Bridge 64
Docklands Railway bridge
Thames at Limehouse Basin
Limehouse swing footbridge
Entrance to Limehouse
Limehouse Marina Bridge
The River Thames
The Thames, London
About Limehouse Basin which is situated close to the River Thames in the East End of London.
This is a really nicely laid out area - even the blocks of (probably very expensive) flats and so on have been designed to appear "ship-like" and fit in well - also some of the original old brick buildings have been preserved. Limehouse Cut leaves from the Basin and provides a link up to the River Lee Navigation
and also the River Stort Navigation
for boat owners (as well as for cyclists and towpath walkers).
The River Thames is just a few hundred yards from Limehouse Basin - there is an excellent swing bridge on the way and once you reach the Thames the river and views are impressive - just here there are also several Thames side public houses. The nicely preserved brick chimney and tower shown in the
above is of an accumulator tower which was used to regulate pressure in the hydraulic systems that powered the lock gates, capstans, cranes and swing bridges within the dock area.
The accumulator tower thankfully has survived the bull-dozers - it was used from around 1869 through to the 1920s.